Building & Contents Grade II listed by English Heritage. "is a remarkably complete example of a relatively small plant"
Winners of a Listed Status Award from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
The sounds of the pumping station working during 1968.
The Reader enclosed double acting steam engine.
Restored by members of the Trust in 2010.
Manufactured by E Reader & Sons of Nottingham this machine was supplied new circa 1943 and could be considered as the final form of the steam engine before it was replaced by the internal combustion engine. Similar machine (albeit much larger) were installed on ships to provide electricity for the lighting.
This particular machine was donated to the trust for display. Upon inspection it was found to be in a very poor condition and required many hours of work to repair and in some cases new parts such as the oil pump and several shafts had to be manufactured.
It is displayed connected to a 1941 GEC 110 volt DC generator to show how it would have been used in it's working days.
It's restoration was masterminded by Mike Glover and Al Ingle and others with technical assistance from John Maclean.