Building & Contents Grade II listed by English Heritage. "is a remarkably complete example of a relatively small plant"
Winners of a Listed Status Award from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
The sounds of the pumping station working during 1968.
Coleham Pumping Station,
Resembling a Victorian Chapel in style, was built circa 1900 to house two massive steam-driven beam engines.
The Museum comprises the Pumping Station buildings, which are listed with Historic England as being of architectural importance, and in-situ beam-engines plus the boilers and other items belonging to Shrewsbury Steam Trust. The Pumping Station is owned by Shrewsbury Museums Service (part of Shropshire Council).The museum is opened to the public on selected dates during the year. See open days for information.
The Shropshire Star reported the opening ceremony on January 4th 1901 here. The two beam engines were built in-situ by Renshaws of Stoke in 1897/1898. They were used to pump sewage as part of Shrewsbury's new sewerage system. The coal-fired boilers drove the beam engines that operated the pumps until 1970. After that date ownership of the building, machinery and grounds was transferred to Shrewsbury and Atcham Borough Council (later to become Shropshire Council) to ensure the history and machinery was preserved for all to see.
Regular during the year
Operating the machinery
In the rear yard